Monday, January 28, 2013

Broken Habit

Lily has been sucking these two fingers pretty much since she was born. I wouldn't be surprised if she did in the womb.
3 months old 
She would really only do it if she was sleepy, but for the past couple months it's been more frequent throughout the day. We've noticed  how much her front teeth stick out, and the a massive gap, and attributed it to the finger sucking. Not to mention big bumps on her fingers and stinky breath. I've been thinking through my options on the way I'd get her to break this nasty habit for months. Yucky nail polish, hot sauce, shock.(just kidding).

 I decided to give band-aids a try. Last Monday I put a fun band-aid on each of her fingers, and told her there were owies that needed to get better, so she needed to leave them on and not put them in her mouth. That was it. I saw her try a couple times, but she would instantly take them out. It didn't take long for her to remember before they got to her mouth, maybe a few hours, and then that was the end of it. Two days was all it took. I am so glad she made the choice to stop. I started noticing her teeth were straightening only a few days afterward. I'm happy to report that habit is broken!


She has been quite the little jabber box lately! Soren thinks everything she tries to say is funny (except 'no') and quite honestly it is! Every day she's been saying new things we're surprised to hear. I love this time! She is so open to learning and much more attentive. We've been loving our times together while Soren is away at school. I think she likes the slower pace, and attention when it's just the two of us. I love this girl!

She loves watching me make food, probably in hopes that she'll get a taste :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this idea - going to try it today! David's about the same age and has always had that habit, too!

Hope you are all doing well!

~Sarah Hamor

Braeden and Jackie said...

What a great idea! Definietly going to give it a try with Laurel.

Total Pageviews